Each year, the National Stem Cell Foundation of Australia awards and celebrates two exceptional mid-career stem cell researchers with the Metcalf Prizes for Stem Cell Research.
The prizes recognize and honour the exceptional contribution made to stem cell research by Emeritus Professor Donald Metcalf, AC, FRS, FAA, who died in December 2014
The prizes support the National Stem Cell Foundation of Australia’s mission to promote the study and use of stem cells in the prevention or control of disease in human beings and to enhance stem cell public education.
The 2017 Metcalf Prizes for Stem Cell Research have been awarded to Mark Dawson and Jessica Mar.
Information about the 2018 Prizes will published on this page when finalised and available.
The Metcalf Prizes, each worth $50,000, are awarded to:
Meet the Metcalf Prize alumni.
- one male and one female stem cell researcher
- working in Australia
- between 5-10 years past their PhD or MD (research-based).
Key dates for 2017 Metcalf Prizes
- Applications open: July 2017
- Applications close: August 2017
- The two winners will be notified in September 2017
- The Metcalf Prizes will be awarded at an event in November 2017
Note: we will extend the eligibility window by a few months so that no potential applicants are rendered ineligible by the change in timing, compared with previous years.
How to apply
- Read the selection criteria, prize conditions and FAQ.
- Draft your application offline using the template.
- Prepare your full CV including full list of publications.
- Complete the online application form, including uploading your CV and list of publications.
- Sit back and wait while applications are sent to the jury panel for review and shortlisting.
Please note: we will only receive applications via the website.
Please do not send references or any additional information to us by email. It will not be used in the judging.
If you have any questions about the online form or the application process, please contact Tanya Ha from Science in Public, which is administering the Metcalf Prizes for us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Download the draft template
We strongly recommend that you draft your application offline before submitting your application online, as you won't be able to save your online application and go back to it.
You can download this template for your draft, but please note that the online form will only support basic formatting.
We will not accept applications forms as Word documents or PDF. You must submit your application using the online form.