The prizes recognise and honour the exceptional contribution made to stem cell research by Emeritus Professor Donald Metcalf, AC, FRS, FAA, who died in December 2014.
The prizes support the National Stem Cell Foundation of Australia’s mission to promote the study and use of stem cells in the prevention or control of disease in human beings and to enhance stem cell public education.
The 2018 Metcalf Prizes for Stem Cell Research have been awarded to Heather Lee and Enzo Porrello.
Applications for the 2019 Metcalf Prizes for Stem Cell Research have now closed.
The Metcalf Prizes, each worth $50,000, are awarded to:
- one male and one female stem cell researcher
- working in Australia
- between 5-10 years past their PhD or MD (research-based).
Dates for 2019 Metcalf Prizes
- Applications open: Monday 24 June 2019
- EXTENDED: Applications close: Friday 2 August 2019
- The two winners will be notified in mid-September 2019
- The Metcalf Prizes will be awarded at an event in November 2019
How to apply
- Read the selection criteria, prize conditions and FAQ.
- Draft your application offline using the template.
- Prepare your full CV including full list of publications.
- Complete the online application form, including uploading your CV and list of publications.
- (Optional) Applicants can invite colleagues, peers or mentors to write a confidential referee's letter in support of their application. Such letters should be emailed directly by the referee to the prize jury, via email@example.com. Please ask your referee(s) to write 'Metcalf Prize referee letter' in the email subject line.
- Sit back and wait while applications are sent to the jury panel for review and shortlisting.
We encourage applicants to seek a mentor to provide advice and guidance on preparing their application.
Please note: we will only receive applications via the website.
Please do not send any additional information to us by email. It will not be used in the judging.
If you have any questions about the online form or the application process, please contact Tanya Ha from Science in Public, which is administering the Metcalf Prizes for us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Download the draft template
We strongly recommend that you draft your application offline before submitting your application online, as you won't be able to save your online application and go back to it.
You can download this template for your draft, but please note that the online form will only support basic formatting.
We will not accept applications forms as Word documents or PDF. You must submit your application using the online form (active when the Prizes are open for applications).