Applications for $55,000 prizes for stem cell research now open.
Two up-and-coming leaders in stem cell science will receive $55,000 each to boost their career to the next level. If you know a promising stem cell researcher, encourage them to apply.
The 2022 Metcalf Prizes for Stem Cell Research are open to mid-career researchers working in stem cell research in Australia. They could be working in medicine or agriculture, government or academia, as long as they have a primary focus on stem cells.
Applications are open to those who have completed their PhD or MD (research-based) within the past five to 10 years (from August 2012 to August 2017). Allowances will be made for research-career breaks, such as maternity leave.
The winners will be chosen for their scientific excellence, proven leadership ability, and the potential to have a continuing influence on stem cell research in Australia.
Past Metcalf Prize winners include:
- Brisbane clinical haematologist Siok Tey
- Canberra computer scientist Pengyi Yang
- Melbourne molecular biologist Melanie Eckersley-Maslin
- Brisbane haematologist Steven Lane
- Brisbane mammary biologist Felicity Davis
- Brisbane bioengineer James Hudson
- Newcastle leukaemia researcher Heather Lee
- Melbourne heart development researcher Enzo Porrello
- Melbourne haematologist Mark Dawson
- Brisbane computational biologist Jessica Mar
- Sydney heart clinician and researcher James Chong
- Melbourne immunologist Tracy Heng
- bioinformatician Christine Wells
- Perth geneticist Ryan Lister
- Tasmanian neural stem cell researcher Kaylene Young
- Monash University reprogramming legend Jose Polo.
You can read more about the Metcalf Prize alumni and their research on our website.
The Metcalf Prizes for Stem Cell Research recognise and honour the exceptional contribution made to stem cell research by the late Professor Donald Metcalf. Over his 50-year career, Don helped transform cancer treatment and transplantation medicine, and paved the way for potential stem cell therapy in the treatment of many other conditions.
The Metcalf Prizes support the Foundation’s mission to support researchers whose work improves our understanding of the human body and the diseases that affect it and leads to proven stem cell therapies.
Application deadline EXTENDED to 11:59 PM Friday 12 August 2022 (AEST). We encourage last year’s unsuccessful applicants to apply again this year if they are still eligible.
To apply online, and for a full list of criteria and conditions, visit: www.stemcellfoundation.net.au/metcalf_prizes.
Showing 1 reaction