Hear from a cardiologist and stem cell researchers, and ask your own questions.
Heart disease is Australia’s leading cause of death, killing more than 18,500 people a year, one every 28 minutes.
The National Stem Cell Foundation of Australia presents a public webinar to answer your questions about heart disease and to let you know about the latest developments in stem cell research to heal broken hearts.
It will be hosted by Foundation director and stem cell biologist Professor Megan Munsie as the first in our Future Medicine series of community education events.
You’ll hear from our panel of researchers and clinicians working on:
- repairing damage from heart disease and heart attack by growing new tissues: Associate Professor James Chong, a regenerative medicine researcher at Westmead Institute for Medical Research and The University of Sydney, and cardiologist at Westmead Hospital.
- understanding congenital heart diseases and developing tissues to supplement pumping power: Professor Enzo Porrello, a stem cell scientist at Murdoch Children’s Research Institute.
- finding drug candidates for COVID 19-related heart damage: Professor James Hudson, a bioengineer at QIMR Berghofer Medical Research Institute.
More than 4 million Australians live with cardiovascular disease. While some treatments and lifestyle changes may help manage their condition, long-term treatments or even cures remain out of reach.
Researchers are currently exploring how stem cell treatments provide answers at all stages of life: from addressing congenital heart diseases in infants, to finding treatments for preventing heart damage, and repairing heart tissues after heart attack.
More about the speakers:
- Read about James Chong’s research into stem cell treatments for heart attack patients: stemcellfoundation.net.au/james_chong_showcase
- Read about Enzo Porrello’s work on understanding the mechanisms involved in congenital heart disease: stemcellfoundation.net.au/enzo_porrello_showcase
- Read about how James Hudson develops heart tissue to test drugs candidates for heart repair: stemcellfoundation.net.au/james_hudson
Date and time:
Thursday 25 August 2022
7:30PM – 8:30PM Australian Eastern Standard Time
Register to get the event link at: www.eventbrite.com.au/e/future-medicine-healing-the-heart-tickets-391398672967